Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Two possible uses for Op Art posters

I know that for tomorrow we are supposed to have posters for tomorrow's class, but I would like to try to turn these OP Art pieces into either men's apparel or use them for a bookcover series, since I need both of these forms for my portfolio.

Men's Apparel
A lot of skateboard t-shirts are very trippy, repetitive and geometric. I think Op Art designs would fit right in with that design sensibility. Please note, I know these aren't the best designs, and it is not my goal for my shirts to come out like the ones shown below. I am merely trying to illustrate how Op art fits this aesthetic.










Bookcover Series
I have chosen to re-design the 4 Augusten Burroughs memoirs for my bookcover series. The current ones are ok, I am not in love with them. Chip Kidd designed 3 of them, I am not blown away.

Chip Kidd did this one. Clever concept, but eh.

Some guy named Steve Snider did this one. I don't like it.

Chip Kidd. Pretty clever I have to admit.

Chip Kidd, clever, but not brilliant.

Augusten himself did this one. I think its awful.

The titles:
• Running with Scissors (novel)
• Dry (Novel)
• Possible Side Effects (collection of short stories)
• Magical Thinking (collection of short stories)

I don't know how familiar you guys are with good ol' Augusten, but his writing is incredibly intelligent, funny, shocking. His sense of humor and his views on life are twisted and warped, but at times he can be incredibly poignant and touching.

I like when design evokes an abstract feeling or emotion. The Op Art I have looked at elicited feelings of dizziness, made me slightly queasy. I think the above titles lend themselves well to having a little fun with the viewer, evoking strange sensations within them, just as the book themselves do. Plus I think it wo uld be easy to unite them as a series. I am not delusional to think that this is going to be easy, but I do think it would be really fun.

1 comment:

Jen said...

http://www.amazon.com/Pleasures-Joy-Division/dp/B000002LGL/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2898956-6931017?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1184856690&sr=8-1

joy divison, pleasures cover